- So, tell me a little about yourself.
- What are you passionate about?
- What relevant experience do you have?
- Do you have any questions to ask me?
- Questions on the projects listed on the Resume.
- Tell me what you know about this company.
- Have you done anything to further your experience?
- How do you keep yourself updated on the latest tools, techniques, technologies etc?
- What steps would you go through when given a though problem to solve involving a completely new technology?
- What motivates you to do a good job?
- Talk about the last 2 technical books you read.
- If given a new programming problem, what is your first step in producing code?
- Tell me a suggestion you have made that was implemented.
- What are the really important aspects of software development?
- Is there anyone you just could not work with?
- If your previous co-workers were here, what would they say about you?
- Has anything ever irritated you about people you’ve worked with?
- What is your ideal team size?
- How would you deal with changes being made a week or so before the ship date?
- Why do you want to work at X Company?
- How would you deal with a bug that no one wants to fix?
- So, explain why I should hire you.
- If you had enough money to retire right now, would you?
- What’s your greatest strength?
- What’s your biggest weakness?
- What have you learned from mistakes on the job?
- What do you like about your current job? What don't you like?
- How would you rate your current management?
- How are you when you’re working under pressure?
- Are you willing to put the interests of X Company ahead of your own?
- Let’s talk about salary. What are you looking for?
- Why are you looking (or why did you leave you last job)?
Thursday, May 29, 2008
Reference list of interview questions for a software engineer position
These are all non-technical and have been collected from several websites. They're also ordered by what I would try first.